Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Leader's Pathway....


"Beyond the gift of Leadership, beyond the hard core skills, talents & experiences, is there anything else needed to be an effective Leader? Well, is there?

Or as Hybel asks "how important is the supernatural component of leadership, the "God" part?  Is it really that important for leaders to be, dream, exist, do life in a vital walk with God?   Duh?!? (can I use that word in a Blogger's Bookstudy?) 

Is is it vital to walk with God as you lead? Yes!!  Can you imagine doing what we do without the Holy Spirit guiding us?  Its with Him, and we constantly mess up, or fall short, there is no doubt a leader's greatest gift is a fully yielded heart. In John 15:5 when He refers to Himself as being the vine, we the branches & we being able to produce more fruit when we remain in Him.  He is basically stating that if we stay in close connection (love that word) with Him, He will in turn INFUSE our leadership with power, creativity, courage!

Now, the key as Leaders is to find the pathway that will help you feel closest to God. Because He has wired each of us differently, what speaks to you, wont necessarily speak to me. Have fun identifying which one of these best describes your "path":

THE RELATIONAL PATHWAY
For these type of people, solitude feels like solitary confinement. Reading the Bible alone, in isolation feel like empty homework assignments. These type of peeps cant grow or serve alone. They need, thrive spiritually, feel closest to God when they study the word, pray, or serve in a group (sounds like small group peeps). Their primary pathway to God is relational. When leaders with the relational pathway acknowledge it & learn INTO it, they begin to flourish spiritually in ways they never could have if they'd attempted to go it alone. I have 4 words for you..."don't do life alone" :)

THE INTELLECTUAL PATHWAY
These guys tend to grow spiritually or feel closest to God by attending classes, seminars, webinars (podcasts) that will challenge their thinking. Their hearts will never fully engage until their minds are filled with truth, facts, knowledge. This was Paul's pathway possible since for him the transformation of the world depended on the "renewing of our minds" (Romans 12:2)

THE SERVING PATHWAY
These are the "Martha's" that yes, take time to pray, attend worship, but if you ask them when they feel closest to God or when they feel "most alive" as I describe myself when I walk into the hallways of Flamingo, its not while studying theology, its when I'm serving, being an instrument, helping to accomplish something for God!!  (can you tell I can totally relate with this pathway :) If you're someone who feels closest to God when you are serving, then lean into this pathway. Your awareness of God's presence will increase big time!

THE CONTEMPLATIVE PATHWAY
These peeps are easily drained by relationships, activities & full calendars!? But they can spend almost unlimited time in solitude.   Give them the Bible, a good book & a journal & they will disappear for days as for these guys, simply being alone with God is enough. They are deep thinkers & love quiet reflection.

THE ACTIVIST PATHWAY
I'd like to think I have a little of this one too & you will probably see bits & pieces of you in maybe 2 of these paths, but these guys are closest to God when running 300 mph! Or as Hybel puts it, happiest when white-knuckled & gasping for breath & will only thrive in high challenging environments that pushes them to the absolute edge of POTENTIAL. Its when they are right at that edge, that they feel closest to God.

THE CREATION PATHWAY
Here again, as someone who loves sitting outside by the lake, breathing in ocean air & contemplating the moon like tonight...those things make me feel closer to God, for these people, being in a natural environment dramatically increases their awareness of God. These guys enjoy their devotions close to nature as it speaks volumes to them. They find spiritual comfort & refreshment in the outdoors, or in the mountains because they are close to God's creation.

THE WORSHIP PATHWAY
This was no doubt David who felt fully alive when worshipping. This person feels closest to God when allowed to be free in the spirit of worship. They thrive & feel like they are before the throne by simply worshipping God in song with all that they are!

Now what? #1 - Identify your pathway so that you wire your spiritual formation for success. #2  - Lean into your pathway, experiment!  #3 - Appreciate & attempt to practice ALL the pathways. All offer opportunity for growth!

Finally, as Leaders, we can play a vital role in helping the people we lead in identifying their pathways. When those you lead begin to understand that there is at least one pathway that will enable them to relate to their Father more closely...they will thank you for a lifetime!  Can you imagine how much more vital we could be as Leaders & world changers if we were regularly accessing the presence & power of God through the pathway designed for us? Watch out world!!!!  50, 100, 150

14 comments:

Don said...

No question, The Worship Pathway is the way I feel closest to God. That may surprise some people. The Serving Pathway is a big part of it too, but worship is key for me. Awesome post Lili!

BZ Ward said...

Well done, Lilibeth! This isn't a copout, but I find that a little bit of each is true of me. I can sit for hours journaling and reading, but I have to have highly intensive dirty-hands action too... I love to study and to worship. Solitude is precious (and rare!) to me, but so is share-from-the-heart fellowship. So I'm focusing on leaning into Him.
Meanwhile, it will be fascinating to use this model to help in our leadership and parenting both, as we help others grow!

Jena said...

Wow..I love the way this book makes me really dig deep in identifying myself. But I am def finding it a little difficult to do.

I LOVE my alone time with God and I feel so close to Him when it's just us...but I am also so energized when I'm serving and being used by Him, pouring into others and esp. introducing Him to someone who doesn't know Him.

Worshiping...love it...sometimes I use my quite singing to Him, of course praying that to Him my voice is in perfect tune :).

Thanks P. Lili....this is great stuff!

April Jung said...

The Serving pathway is probably my main one, but I lean a little on the intellectual pathway as well. I LOVE learning more and more! Learning new things and concepts and being reminded of those I constantly forget, keeps me feeling young and alive. And LOVE worshiping too. I feel SO close to God when I worship. Thanks for making these connections so we can "lean into" our pathway and become closer. Also agree that it's important to develop and at least understand them all. That way, we can guide those we are leading into finding there own pathway that can take them closer to God, instead of expecting them to do what we do, and perhaps keep them from truly experiencing God for themselves.

Paola said...

i am like Barby, See myself in almost ALL of them :) this is huge insight! wow

lili said...

Thanks for the comments guys! Enjoy seeing reading how you are each wired...what a great book!

Shout out to Pastor Heredes for being the guru catalyst & launching this!

-L

Marcy Ribeiro said...

Lili.. great post. what a great chapter. I think I would identify myself with the Contemplative- If i could just have like 3 hours ALONE to read, pray, and Journal [all out loud] oh that would be awesome!! Then I relate with the Creation P.- I love being outdoors, having the sun hit my face, feel a breeze [once in a while]& just contemplate on God's artistic canvas!! & then serving & worshiping [i could sing out loud- alone of course-all day to Him]

Like many said, once we get these rolling in our lives, how cool to be able to help our people find out their pathways too [until we reach all]. Thank you Pastor Lili :) for helping me "connect" through your blog. Pastor Troy has got some great leaders surrounding him and leading out on things like this book study :)

Heredes Ribeiro said...

So cool to know our God is sooooooo HUGE and that we can seek him out and CONNECT with Him in so many ways ... same God , same Power !

I am definitely an activist but with a worshippers heart ...

But also know that a few times a year i need some solitude, (contemplative time) .. even intellectual time to grow and refine... and then again, i experience the same God in powerful ways.

Thx Lili for the great review , for adding the applications and for attaching Vision!

-H

Melanie Gomez said...

WOW !! THIS HAS TO BE MY FAVORITE CHAPTER SO FAR >> IN TRYING TO GROW AND BE A BETTER CHRIST FOLLOWER _ ITS SO GOOD TO KNOW I CAN SEE HIM IN DIFFERENT WAYS AND FORMS >>>> THERES NOT ONE PATH> NOT ONE STYLE >>

THANKYOUALLFOR LETTING ME IN ON THIS STUDY - VERY HELPFUL

THIS MAY HAVE JUST SPURRED ME ON TO SERVE AT FLAMINGO AND RTRY THAT IN ORDER TO CONNECT WITH THE LORD

Heather Palacios said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yoel said...

Great review Lili.
I'm spread apart amongst 4.
Most definitely I'm on the Serving pathway. I love allowing God to flourish creativity through me.

I'm an Activist. Like you said "closest to God when running 300 mph". 300mph always brings up situations, and its through the resolving of the situations that I feel God next to me.

A Creationist. I love and drool at watching Creation ESPECIALLY the brilliant colors that God has just spilled over the earth.

And I love to Worship. Music brings it all together for me. It has the power to unplug the world and plug in to His healing power.

Once again, great post Lili! Thanks for the challenge.

lili said...

thinking Torres summed me up in his comment!? couldnt agree more!!!

Linda said...

Im a cross between Activist & creation for sure!

Heather Palacios said...

I imagine God is a lil of all these--which is encouraging cuz we're made in His image, so we have the potential 2 b a lil of all of these.