Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Log In Our Eyes

The first order of things to be changed is me, the leader. After I consider how hard it is to change myself, then I will understand the challenge of trying to change others. This is the ultimate test of leadership. -John Maxwell

It is usually pretty easy to point out how someone else needs to change. But, if we TRULY consider even half of the things for which we criticize others...we are often guilty ouselves. The "do as I say and not as I do" concept has a great big hole in it shaped just like hypocrisy. And, it is hard to respect and follow a hypocrite.

The next time you feel the need to criticize and/or change the behavior or another, take a moment to reflect on your own life. What changes do you need to make?

Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or, how can you say to your neighbor, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' while the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor's eye.
-Matthew 7:3-5

No comments: